An aviary was added to the park in late 1913 and the first inhabitants were reported to be "a couple of pheasants from Lord Tredegar, three guinea fowl from Councillor D. J. Evans, a "white" blackbird from Mr. W. Bush, and some canaries from another donor." The decision to construct the aviary was taken in April 1913 and it was to cost £40. It was built on what was then the park boundary, south west of the nursery and west of Bellevue Court, as was shown on the 1920s Ordnance Survey map. In August, when the building was nearing completion the Parks Committee decided that the public should be invited to contribute some birds, and they agreed to advertise accordingly in the local newspapers. The aviary was completed in mid September 1913.
There were regular presentations of birds, and later animals such as monkeys, rats and guinea pigs, but the Parks Committee also authorised the Chairman and Deputy Chairman to make arrangements for stocking the aviary and "spend a small sum of money". In March 1914 the Committee agreed to purchase birds for the aviary at a cost between £3 and £4.
In July 1914 the Committee instructed the Borough Architect to submit an estimate for doubling the size of the aviary.
Before the aviary was installed peacocks were kept in the park, from as early as 1896, when it was reported that a peacock and hen had been presented to the park by Colonel Lyne. Only months later it was reported that the peahen has died and it was subsequently agreed that two more be purchased at a cost not exceeding £1. In 1917 the Parks Committee received a complaint from a resident in Friars Road about noise from the peacocks in the park. The Committee decided to take no action because the birds had been kept in the park for about 20 years without complaint and in much larger number than at present.
Included in this table are all birds and animals presented to Belle Vue Park as recorded in Parks Committee minutes.
|Date of Report||Reason||Animals|
|July 1896||Presentation||Peacock and hen|
|December 1896||Presentation||Two wild ducks and a drake|
|March 1897||Presentation||Some wild ducks and a guinea fowl|
|September 1913||Presentation||A pair of golden pheasants|
|October 1913||Presentation||Six canaries|
|November 1913||Presentation||A pair of guinea fowl|
|November 1913||Presentation||Bull finch|
|December 1913||Presentation||Two pheasants|
|December 1913||Presentation||Three guinea fowl|
|December 1913||Presentation||"White" blackbird|
|April 1914||Presentation||Cinnamon blackbird|
|April 1914||Presentation||Spotted blackbird|
|April 1914||Presentation||Three doves|
|May 1914||Presentation||White cockatoo|
|May 1914||Presentation||Green parrot|
|July 1914||Presentation||Pair of Madagascar lovebirds|
|July 1914||Presentation||Six canaries|
|October 1914||Presentation||West African parrot|
|February 1915||Stolen||Seven canaries and two parrots|
|March 1915||Stolen||A number of birds were stolen|
|March 1915||Presentation||Amazon parrot|
|March 1915||Presentation||Magpie pigeons|
|April 1915||Note||Agreed: aviary to be extended|
|July 1915||Presentation||Ring-necked parakeet|
|August 1915||Presentation||Australian parrot|
|August 1915||Presentation||A pair of silver pheasants|
|November 1915||Presentation||Grey parrot|
|April 1916||Presentation||Sulphur crested cockatoo|
|April 1916||Presentation||Ring-necked parakeet|
|May 1916||Presentation||White rat|
|October 1916||Presentation||A pair of guinea pigs|
|October 1916||Presentation||Ring-necked parakeet|
|January 1917||Note||Now 10 silver pheasants in the collection|
|May 1917||Presentation||Two pairs fan tailed pigeons|
|May 1917||Presentation||One pair nun pigeons|
|June 1917||Note||Peacock moved in to park from Beechwood Park|
|June 1917||Note||Two monkeys already in the aviary|
|June 1917||Presentation||Ten Rice Birds to be placed in the conservatory|
|February 1919||Presentation for public parks||Parrot|
|August 1925||Presentation||Very large white Australian cockatoo, sulphur crested|
|March 1926||Presentation||West Indian Parrot|
|January 1927||Transferred||Two monkeys transferred to Bristol Zoological Gardens|
|July 1928||Presented||Three pairs bantams (Japanese white)|
|July 1928||Presented||Three young silver pheasants|
|July 1928||Presented||Two pairs of fan tailed pigeons|
|July 1928||Presented||Three pairs of Italian pigeons|
In the later 1920s few birds and animals were presented and in July 1926 the Committee declined the offer of a monkey owing to the lack of suitable accommodation. In September 1926 it was decided that three monkeys be offered to the Clifton Zoological Gardens, though the donor of one of them was first to be given the option of taking it back. At this time also the Parks Committee was considering whether to repair the aviary or to construct a new one.
In October 1932 the Parks Committee decided "that the aviary be dispensed with and its contents, together with the pea-fowl, be disposed of".
Sources of Information