Belle Vue Court, also known as Belle Vue House, used to stand on land which is now the south east of Belle Vue Park.
In 1913 the Council approached the Tredegar Estate about acquiring the adjacent Belle Vue Court and its grounds.
In 1916 it was reported that the Mayor and Alderman Mordey had discussed with Lord Tredegar the acquisition of Belle Vue Court by the Corporation as an extension to the park. The matter was deferred until after the war but Lord Tredegar was aware that the Corporation wished to aquire the property.
In January 1920 the Parks Committee agreed to accept the offer from the Tredegar Estate for the Corporation to purchase Belle Vue House for the sum of £2,250 plus costs. In the event the purchase did not take place because the Minister of Health did not consider that sufficient reason had been shown to acquire Belle Vue Court and borrow £2,325 for the purpose.
The grounds of Belle Vue House, at the junction of Belle Vue Lane and Cardiff Road, were absorbed into the park in 1953 after the house was demolished. Aerial photographs indicate that this space was used for allotments in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
Sources of Information