In September 1895 Mr Stanley Jones of Stow Circus, presented an ornamental drinking fountain costing £75 to Belle Vue Park, as a memorial to his late father. The Parks Committee had approved the site for it in June, namely on the terrace near the bandstand. It was unveiled on Thursday 9th April 1896 by Mrs Jones, and Mr Mordey, Chairman of the Parks Committee proposed a vote of thanks of behalf of the ratepayers. On the 1900 Ordnance Survey map a single drinking fountain is shown in the park, on the terrace by the bandstand, presumably the fountain donated by Mr Jones.
Another drinking fountain was placed in 1914 near the Friar's Road entrance to the park. In February 1914 the Parks Comittee agreed to find a site in Belle Vue Park for a drinking fountain recently presented to the Borough by a lady. This fountain was given by a member of the British Women's Temperance Association. In the event it was placed outside the Friars Road entrance and the Committee approved the cutting down of a tree to make the necessary space. In November 1996 it was moved to a position about 50 metres west of the Lychgate at St Woolos' Cathedral and it bears the inscription:
Presented by a former President
To the town of Newport in the name
Of the British Womens Temperance Association
On a service door in the base is inscribed: This drinking fountain was moved here from Belle Vue Park and unveiled by the worshipful Mayor of Newport Cllr Lloyd R Turnbull CBE in November 1996.
The 1920 Ordnance Survey map for Belle Vue Park shows four drinking fountains, including the ones on the bandstand terrace and at the Friars Road entrance. The others are shown at the Cardiff Road (south east) entrance, and further south near some woodland close to the Cardiff Road boundary. This fountain is no longer shown on the 1930s OS map, but the other three remain.
In July 1932 the drinking fountain on the terrace at Belle Vue Park was reported out of order and the Borough Engineer was instructed regarding its repair. In September 1932 it was decided that this drinking fountain be removed.
On the 1950s map the drinking fountain from the bandstand terrace has been moved to the west side of the pavilion. The drinking fountains at Friars Road (north) entrance and the one at Cardiff Road (south east) entrance are still present. This map also shows a new drinking fountain in a playground at the south end of the park.
On the 1960s map the playground drinking fountain is still present as are the one at Friars Road entrance and the one west of the pavilion. The one at the south east entrance is no longer there.
There are now (2017) no drinking fountains in the park.
Sources of Information