By the early 1900s there were other entertainments in the park as well as band performances. One of the earliest of these was in 1907, when it was agreed that illuminations, military concerts and firework displays would be organised on two evenings, by a Mr S. Cooper, and that the park would be closed for this purpose on the two days, not earlier than 1pm. These "illuminated fetes" were held on June 6th and 8th June. The Council's share of the takings amounted to £160 when expenses had been deducted, and this sum was donated to four charitable organisations.
The following year the Council made arrangements with Messrs T. C. Brock & Co. to hold three fetes in the park, one half day each in June, July and August 1908, to include illumination of the grounds, a fireworks display and a military band.. Takings from these events totalled £395-0s-6d, 25% of which was the Council's share, and after deduction of expenses, £59-7s-11d was distributed to charitable organisations. Similar arrangements were made for 1909, with Newport Concert Direction providing three fetes in June, July and August, and the Council receiving 25% of the admission money. The Council again distributed its profit (£24-17s-1d) from these events to local charities. The Newport Concert Direction Agency were contracted again in 1910 on similar terms to give two fetes during the summer.
In 1911 the Council was unable to agree terms with any contractor to hold fetes as in previous years and it was decided that no such entertainments be provided. Subsequently the Newport and Monmouthshire Hospital Workmen's Fund was given permission to hold a fete in the park on Saturday August 12th 1911 subject to 25% of the nett proceeds being handed over to the Corporation for distribution amongst charities.
In February 1924 the Parks Committee received a letter from Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Company Ltd offering to give a demonstration of "apparatus specially adapted for outdoor wireless demonstrations in the public parks". The Committee asked the company to arrange a demonstration in Belle Vue Park. Subsequently in May Marconiphone wrote offering a demonstration of entirely new equipment suitable for use on bandstands in the open air and the offer was accepted. In July the Parks Committee agreed to purchase a wireless receiver with the necessary equipment at a price of about £130. The Committee also agreed to accept the offer of Mr W. J. Webb to operate the wireless set free of cost, and the Parks Superintendent was to select one of the Parks employees for tuition in operating the set. In the meeting of the 25th July the Committee heard that the equipment had been installed.
At the end of the 1924 season it was reported that the wireless receiving set had been operational from July 7th to September 30th inclusive and that the concerts given had been well appreciated. It was also stated that this wireless set was the first to be installed in a public park in Great Britain. At the beginning of the 1925 season the Marconiphone Company demonstrated new equipment which the Parks Committee decided to purchase, the company agreeing to take back the existing set in part exchange. "The new equipment was stated to be the very best of its kind for fulness of tone, remarkable clarity and production in reproduction of the natural speech and music and the strength would be audible to perfection within half to three-quarters of a mile." In May 1925 the Committee agreed to purchase a motor generator from the Electricity and Tramways Department, to be installed in the park, to charge the batteries for the wireless set.
Mr G. N. Dowdall (who also provided the refreshments service at Beechwood Park) was appointed in May 1927 to operate the wireless sets in Beechwood, Belle Vue and Shaftesbury Parks during the year ending 31st March 1928, for the sum of £75 inclusive of tram fares. It was also decided that copies of the Radio Times be purchased weekly for each of the three parks. In April 1928 the Parks Committee agreed to contract the Newport Electric Company Ltd. to operate the wireless receiving sets in Beechwood, Belle Vue and Shaftesbury Parks for the period May to August inclusive.
In January 1933 the Parks Committee decided that the use of the wireless receiving sets at Belle Vue, Beechwood and Shaftesbury Parks should be discontinued and it was agreed to dispose of these sets.
Sources of Information