Two lodges were built, one at the Cardiff Road entrance and the other at the entrance from Friars Road. The contract for their construction was awarded in April 1893 to Mr Dyson Parfitt, who had tendered to carry out this work for £1,225. The following September the Parks Committee awarded a contract to Messrs T. Brown and Company of Birmingham, to supply wrought iron gates at the Cardiff Road and Waterloo Road entrances at a cost of £91 1s 6d. A design for the Newport Borough arms to be incorprated into the gates was approved for an additional sum of £4-10-0.
The lodges were described in March 1894 as "handsome and ornate little structures, the former [CardiffRoad] especially so." Forest stone pillars were used for the entrance gates adjoining the lodges.
Both lodges appear on the 1900 Ordnance Survey map. From the Friar's Road lodge there was an avenue of trees leading to the ornamental fountain. This tree avenue was still present on the 1920s OS map but was reduced to two pairs of trees from the 1930s onwards. Both lodges were shown on subsequent OS maps and are still present.
A fuller description of the Cardiff Road entrance and lodge - said to be the principal entrance - was given in September 1894: "The lodge is in the Elizabethan style, of local stones with red-tiled roof. The gate piers are also of local stone, with red Yorkshire stone dressings and pillars, and finished with ball finials and neckings. The central gateway for carriages has a width of 12 feet, and the posterns on each side have five-feet openings for pedestrians. Hammered iron is used and this and the gates at the other three entrances are noticeable from the introduction of something "local". The borough arms with dear little cherub that sits smiling aloft of the escutcheon, are contained in conventional floriation of novel design."
The Friar's Road lodge was mentioned in the same article: "This lodge is similar, but smaller, to the one on the Cardiff-road. The angle of the first floor which overhangs the pathway, and has been already the subject of newspaper correspondence has a little bit of history attaching to it. The upper floor of the lodge was turned round to save a tree which would otherwise have been sacrificed and thus the mistake crept in. A winder gale, however, afterwards marked out the tree and a sister elm for destruction, and so the Parks Committee were unlucky to get a remarkable blunder and lose the trees in whose behalf it was perpetrated."
In June 1914 the Parks Committee agreed that alterations should be made to both lodges such that wood and glass screens be erected on the porches and this would cost about £11.
In September 1931 the Committee authorised work on the Friars Road lodge to remove gas piping and install electricity. In January 1935 the Park Ranger who was living in this lodge exchanged residences with the Parks Superintendent, who was living at Beechwood House.
The Parks Committee decided in July 1937 that a telephone be installed in the Parks Superintendent's lodge.
In November 1988 it was reported that improvements had been carried out to the Friars Road Lodge costing £11,300, and the Leisure Services Committee decided that improvements to the Cardiff Road Lodge estimated to cost £10,880 be approved.
Sources of Information