In response to the demand for refreshments in the park the rustic tea house was built in 1910.
The design for this building, to be erected near the south western side of the pavilion, was approved in November 1909. It was to have timber uprights supporting the roof, and the spaces between the uprights would be filled with trellis work. The cost of materials was estimated to be £57-10s-0d. Labour costs were estimated to be £77-10s-0d, and it was understood this would be paid from a private source.
In February 1910 the new tea house was reported to be in the course of erection, and it was agreed that Mrs Bevan (who ran the refreshments service in the pavilion) be allowed to use the new building for an additional rental of £5.
In June 1928 the Parks Committee agreed to allow the Education Committee to hold classes in bad weather in the open sided tea house near the pavilion.
In 2000 the tea house was given listed grade II status.
Sources of Information