There were no tennis courts provided when the park opened in 1894 and none are shown on the 1900s Ordnance Survey map. In September 1907 it was reported that there was demand for tennis courts at Belle Vue Park, and an area near the Friars Road entrance was intended for this when the park was laid out. The Parks Committee decided that two tennis courts be constructed in the place described, and income from these was reported for the 1908 season.
In September 1911 the Parks Committee decided that an additional tennis court be constructed alongside the existing courts at a cost of about £35.
Receipts, year by year reported in the Parks Committee minutes were:
On the 1920s map tennis courts are marked at the north end, east of the tree avenue.
In September 1922 the Parks Committee decided that one tennis court be converted to an asphalt court in time for next season at a cost not exceeding £100. For the 1923 season, charges for the use of hard tennis courts were set at one shilling per hour for two players and one shilling four pence for three or four players. In October 1923 the Parks Committee agreed to convert two grass tennis courts into hard courts.
In August 1925 the Parks Committee agreed to convert the grass tennis court near the pavilion into a hard court. In March 1926 it was agreed that construction of a hard court be started as soon as possible.
The Committee agreed that one of the hard tennis courts in the Park be re-surfaced with "Colas".
The two courts are still present on the 1930s map, and in addition a small tennis court is shown west of the Pavilion.
In 1950s and 1960s both sets of courts are still present.
After July 1991 the west-most tennis court of the group of three, near Bellvue Lane, was converted to a basket ball court.
Sources of Information