This page shows a timeline for the features in Belle Vue Park where dates are known. More information can be obtained from the individual entries in the menu on the left.
|1892 November 3rd||The site of the park formally conveyed to the Council by Lord Tredegar.
The ceremony for cutting the first sod performed by the Mayor of Newport.
The Park was officially named Belle Vue Park.
|1893 August||Contract awarded for construction of ornamental fountain near Friars Road entrance|
|1893 October||Rockwork completed for water course|
|1984 March||Construction of both lodges complete|
|1894 March||Construction of greenhouses adjacent to Belle Vue Lane reported almost complete|
|1894 August||Flagstaff to be presented by the Mayor|
|1894 September 8th||Official opening of the park|
|1894 November||Bandstand completed|
|1896 April 9th||Ornamental drinking fountain presented by Mr Stanley Jones was unveiled|
|1896||Gorsedd Stone Circle erected in preparation for the National Eisteddfod.
Ceremony of Proclamation for Eisteddfod held in Belle Vue Park.
|1897||The National Eisteddfod held in Newport|
|1905 March||First bowling green completed|
|1907 September||Second bowling green to be constructed near Friars Road entrance|
|1907 September||Two tennis courts to be constructed|
|1910||Rustic tea house provided|
|1911 September||One new tennis court to be constructed alongside existing (Friars Rd entrance)|
|1913 September||Aviary completed|
|1914 after March 7th||Temperance drinking fountain was installed outside Friary Road entrance|
|1919 August||German field gun accepted for display in the park|
|1922 September||One grass court to be converted to asphalt|
|1923 October||Two grass courts to be converted to hard courts|
|1924||Wireless receivers supplied by Marconi installed to provide public entertainment|
|1930||Putting green provided|
|1932 October||Council decided to close the aviary|
|1933 January||Wireless sets to be discontinued and disposed of|
|1934 April 28th||New bowling green was opened by the Mayor|
|1935 September||Parks Committee decided use of the putting green be discontinued|
|1935 October||New bowls pavilion completed|
|1937 January||German field gun to be removed|
|1939-1945||Park used for various wartime functions including barrage balloon site, air raid shelters and food production|
|1940 September||New entrance off Cardiff Road approved for access to air raid shelters|
|1942 April||Part of the park set aside for allotments|
|1942 October||Parks Committee agreed to keep bees in the park|
|1945||Council resisted removal of the park railings for the war effort|
|1949 December||Bees and hives to be disposed of|
|1953||The grounds of Belle Vue House added to the park|
|1955 March||Rebuilding of conservatories to take place|
|1988||Replacement bandstand installed|
|1996 November||Temperance drinking fountain moved to outside St Woolos Cathedral|
|2000||Rustic Tea House given grade 2 listed status|
|2002||The Heritage Lottery Fund awarded £1.564 million towards the restoration of the park|
|2006||The restored pavilion and conservatories re-opened|
|2018-2019||Glass houses adjacent to Belle Vue Lane removed|
|2019||Building at rear of car park removed in favour of more parking spaces|
|2019 September||125th Aniversary of the opening of the park|