Playground equipment was provided from at least 1926, when a tender from Wickstead & Co. to supply a set of swings and a giant stride for the park was accepted.Their intended location in the park was not specified.
Ordnance Survey maps do not show a playground in Coronation Park until the 1950s - in the north east corner of the park below Stephenson Street. The playground at this stage incuded a drinking fountain and a maypole. In 1960 the Parks Committee decided that the maypole be removed and replaced in due course by more suitable equipment.
Sources of Information