The Parks Committee decided in August 1911 that sports pitches would be provided for Rugby and Association football, and goal posts would be installed, one set for each.
In March 1912 it was agreed that two cricket pitches be provided.
The Committee decided in April 1913 to provide a baseball pitch, on the understanding that it would not be for the exclusive use of any one club.
The area available for sports was extended in the mid 1930s and in August 1936 the Parks Superintendent reported that two association football pitches were being prepared in the park extension and they would be available for play in the coming season.
A tender from Mr J. H. Bevan to build a sports pavilion was accepted in December 1938.[5
After the 1939-45 war, when parts of the park were used for allotments and for grazing, the sports area required extensive levelling. The Parks Superintendent reported in March 1946 that 300 tonnes of soil would be needed at Coronation Park for this purpose.
Newport County Association Football Club was granted use of Coronation Park for training purposes during the 1945-1946 season.
In September 1947 a tender was accepted from En Tout Cas Co., Ltd. for construction of two hard tennis courts at Coronation Park.
The Leisure Services Committee agreed in December 1976 that the Newport Corinthians Football Club be granted a license for ten years to provide changing accommodation for their own use at Coronation Park. The Committee later agreed that the club be granted exclusive use of the No. 2 pitch for the 1977/78 season for a charge of £100.
Sources of Information