In the summer of 1939 the Parks Committee agreed to permit the use of Crindau Park by the 33rd Field Regiment, R. A., throughout the month of July for the purposes of physical training. Additional reserved use of the park on Wednesday afternoons was granted for a period of three months starting at the end of the August school holidays.
Later in 1939 the Chairman of the Parks Committee gave authority for the pavilion in the park to be used as a first aid post in connection with Air Raid Precautions. By May 1940 the pavilion was serving as a first aid and ambulance depot, though the ARP controller had agreed that two rooms could be available as changing accommodation for tennis players.
In January 1942 the Parks Superintendent reported that the tennis pavilion had been vacated by the ARP, and it was decided to use the space to store crops. In April the Parks Committee decided that portions of several parks, including Crindau, "be set aside for the duration of the war and a reasonable time thereafter for allotment purposes."
After the war the sports areas in the park required extensive levelling, and the Parks Superintendent reported in March 1946 that 100 tonnes of soil had been delivered to Crindau Park for that purpose. The following month the Parks Committee agreed that the Newport Harriers Athletic Club could use part of Crindau Park for training, and also agreed to provide a sand pit as requested by the club.
Sources of Information