In January 1911 the Parks Committee decided that a bowling green be constructed in St Julians Recreation Ground. It was to be adjacent to the slope to the railway bridge and the Great Western Railway Company had agreed that a small water pipe could be laid on their bridge, such that a water supply could be installed in the recreation ground. The bowling green was being constructed in February 1911. The Committee invited the Mayor to perform the official opening of the new green on the evening of May 23rd 1912 and a band was engaged to play for the occasion.
Income from bowling for 1912 was reported in the Parks Committee minutes. There was also a " bowling hut", which the Committee agreed should be used as a dressing room for footballers during winter.
In December 1925 it was reported that the shelter built by St Julians Bowls Club was not complete but the club was willing for footballers to use it. In January 1926 the Club agreed to transfer ownership of the shelter to the Corporation, provided the Corporation completed repairs and the Club would have exclusive use during the bowling seasons free of charge.
In January 1927 the Committee heard that the two bowls clubs using the St Julian Recreation Ground green had come to an agreement regarding their fixtures for the coming season.
Receipts from the bowling green year by year, reported in the Parks Committee minutes were:
In 1995 it was reported that the bowling green at Glebelands was being used by three clubs: Firbank and St Julians Mens and Ladies Bowling Clubs.
Sources of Information