Cricket

Early in 1909 the Parks Committee decided that owing to the small size of the St Julian Recreation Ground, no cricket pitches would be provided,[1] but in July there was mention of "the lower cricket pitch" there. The Caerleon Institute Cricket Club asked that this pitch be rolled.[2]

In September 1920 the Parks Committee was informed that users of the Recreation Ground were trespassing on railway property in order to retrieve cricket balls and footballs.[3]

Sources of Information

  1. Newport County Borough Council Parks, Cemeteries and Markets Committee 19th March 1909
  2. Newport County Borough Council Parks, Cemeteries and Markets Committee 16th July 1909
  3. Newport County Borough Council Parks and Cemeteries Committee 17th September 1920