The Parks Committee agreed in August 1908 that football be allowed "at the far end" of St Julians Recreation Ground. The Committee also accepted the Mayor's offer to present one set of Association Football goal posts for the ground. ("Football" may refer to Association Football (soccer) or Rugby Football.)
In September 1920 the Parks Committee decided that the number of football pitches in the Recreation Ground should be reduced.
The Glebeland adjoining St Julian Recreation Ground was acquired by the Council in the late 1920s and in February 1928 the Parks Committee agreed that goal posts be erected there.
Two additional football pitches were to be provided in late 1959, on land comprising 3.2 acres south of the newly established running track.
Sources of Information