The Parks Committee decided in June 1908 - a month after the Recreation Ground was oficially opened - that six swings and six see-saws be erected at a cost of about £30.
In September 1920 the swings in the Recreation Ground were to be repaired in time for the next season.
In the late 1920s the Council acquired the Glebe Lands adjoining the Recreation Ground. After levelling had been carried out, in February 1937 an area of approximately two acres of this land was available for use as a childrens playground and the Committee agreed that the necessary work was to be carried out.
On Ordnance Survey maps the playground is shown at the southern end of the plot in 1950, but by 1970 it had been moved to a position north of the tennis courts and near the railway line, shelter and drinking fountain. This was following a decision of the Parks Committee in August 1958 that the playground equipment be moved to a site adjoining the tennis courts.
Sources of Information